Seven-try Griquas thump Kings
August 31, 2016

Griquas ran in seven tries to two in thumping the Eastern Province Kings 47-24 (halftime 14-17) in their Currie Cup Premier Division rugby fixture at Griqua Park, Kimberley, on Wednesday.

The home side trailed by three points at the break but five tries in the second half blew the Kings out of the water.

The fixture was rescheduled after the teams’ opening day date was postponed due to the Kings’ off-field problems.

This effectively will result in the Kings playing three games in seven days with Toyota Free State to follow in Bloemfontein at the weekend.

It was for this reason that numerous changes were made to the EP side, with only one position remaining unchanged in the starting line-up from the team which lost to DHL Western Province in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.

But it needed 17 minutes before Griquas could crack the EP defensive lines of the overhauled Kings team as lock Wandile Putuma crashed over for the opening points of the match. Centre Clinton Swart made no mistake from the tee adding another two points.

The Kings, however, struck right back after some fine handling skills through their backs for right wing Alcino Isaacs to score far out. The scoreline was level again when flyhalf Lungelo Goza kicked the conversion from the touchline.

A sustained period of pressure on the Kings’ tryline on the half hour eventually saw lock Jono Janse van Rensburg barge his way over for Griquas’ second try. Swart on target with the boot again for the home side to reassume the lead.

A penalty just inside the Kings’ saw Goza have a successfully shot at goal to narrow the gap followed by Isaacs latching on to a superb pass from fullback Ganfried May to dot down. Goza kicked the conversion for the Kings to lead by three at halftime.

Griquas must have had a good talking to at halftime and came back after the break with right wing Edries Arendse edging his team back into the lead with their third try of the evening. Left wing teammate Alshaun Bok was not to be outdone as cranked up the speed to put some distance between the teams as he out-sprinted the defence to score the bonus point try. Swart slotted both conversions for Griquas to lead 28-17.

It was then the turn of captain and fullback Adriaan Coertzen to turn on the charm and he finished off well to score midway out. Swart was accurate with the boot again as Griquas started running away with the game.

With only 12 minutes left in the game and time running out for the visitors, Coertzen got his second try, showing good strength to force his way over in the corner and put Griquas well out of touch.

The Kings scored a consolation try at the death through Cullen Callopy and Pieter-Steyn de Wet converted.


GRIQUAS – Tries: Wandile Putuma, Jono Janse van Rensburg, Edries Arendse, Alshaun Bock, Adriaan Coertzen (2), Eric Zana; Conversions: Clinton Swart (5), Andre Swarts

EP KINGS – Tries: Alcino Isaacs (2), Cullen Callopy; Conversions: Lungelo Goza (2), Pieter-Steyn de Wet; Penalties: Lungelo Goza

Copyright - SA Rugby. All Rights Reserved - Photos by Gallo Images