Griquas beat Blue Bulls
Gerdie Karstens
May 21, 2016

Griquas remain unbeaten in the new provincial tournament after beating an enthusiastic Vodacom Blue Bulls 39-38 (halftime 17-14) at Griqua Park in Kimberley on Saturday afternoon.

The Peacock Blues have now won seven consecutive games and with 33 points on the log have seemingly put beyond doubt the fact that they will be playing in this year’s Currie Cup competition.

Building on their good momentum from the last couple of weeks, Griquas will now travel to Cape Town for their next encounter against DHL Western Province next Saturday. The Blue Bulls, still with only a single victory to their name, will lick their wounds before they take on the Leopards at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria on Saturday.

The Bulls started well, with flanker Roelof Smit crossing the whitewash as early as the 14th minute after Griquas missed an earlier penalty. Bulls fly half Joshua Stander added the extra two points two give the visitors a head start.

Griquas recovered quickly, with centre Jonathan Francke who scored only three minutes later. The conversion by full back Gouws Prinsloo, who did not have the best afternoon with the kicking boot, leveled the scores with 20 minutes in the first half left to play.

Smit continued with his impressive form by scoring the second of his three tries on the afternoon after some good pressure on attack by the Bulls. Stander, who converted all five the Bulls tries, opened the lead to seven points once again.

Winger Ederies Arendse kept his side within striking distance with his try five minutes from halftime, with fly half Andre Swarts, who took over the kicking duties, converting and also kicking a late penalty to give Griquas a hard fought lead of 17-14 at the break.

The hosts came out all guns blazing in the second half, with Francke scoring his second of the afternoon and Swarts converting to leave the Bulls stunned. Another penalty by Stander settled the visitors nerves somewhat and they got back into the game as Smit completed his hat-trick soon thereafter.

A penalty by Swarts meant Griquas kept their noses in front, but two quick tries to the Bulls via flanker Renaldo Bothma and full back Duncan Matthews had the hosts in trouble. Their unbeaten record dangling on a string, replacement Clinton Swart and captain and winger AJ Coertzen dug deep and both scored to help snatch victory from the Bulls grasp.


Griquas - 39 (17): Tries: Jonathan Francke (2), Ederies Arendse, Clinton Swart, AJ Coertzen; Conversions: Gouws Prinsloo, Andre Swarts (2), Clinton Swart; Penalties: Andre Swarts (2).

Vodacom Blue Bulls - 38 (14): Tries: Roelof Smit (3), Renaldo Bothma, Duncan Matthews; Conversions: Joshua Stander (5); Penalty: Joshua Stander

Copyright - SA Rugby. All Rights Reserved - Photos by Gallo Images