Griquas one step closer to qualification
April 29, 2016

The Griquas ground out a 30-14 (halftime 13-0) victory over the Boland Cavaliers in their clash at the Boland Stadium in Wellington, moving one step closer to qualifying for the Currie Cup Premier Division.

Speedster Alshaun Bock nearly scored in the first minute but was stopped by some desperate defence by the home team. At the ensuing scrum the scrummed of their own ball with eightman Jason Fraser collecting the ball and forcing his way over the whitewash.

Flyhalf Clinton Swart then brought up his 50 for the season with the conversion and the Griquas were looking rampant during the opening exchanges.

The rest of the half was tedious and both teams were committed to making sure none of the fans had to get up unnecessarily. Two missed kicks by Cavaliers pivot Theuns Kotze proved costly his front rowers then conspired to hand the Griquas an easy three points.

First SP Wessels was penalised for hinging in the scrum, then Francois Hanekom committed a high tackle close to his own tryline. Swart slotted the penalty on the stroke of halftime, making it 10-0 for the men from Kimberley.

After the break Swart slotted another penalty before AJ Coertzen scored in the corner. The winger collected a neat little dab through from the boot of fullback Eric Zana, who had been a Cavalier earlier in his career.

Flanker Shaun Adendorff and Bock then exchanged pleasantries, necessitating a chat by referee Cwengile Jadezweni as earlier in the match veteran winger Danwel Demas and scrumhalf Rudi van Rooyen had baregd over an advertising board after a heated moment.

Another former Cavalier, centre Jonathan Francke, was massive on defence and kept the Cavaliers under severe pressure with his tackling.

Adendorff and his namesake Shaun McDonald then started to impose themselves on the match and slowly give Boland some front foot ball. Their hard work was rewarded when replacement Christopher Bosch, after some sublime skills by his fullback Adriaan Carelse and wnger Sergio Torrens, scored the first try of the afternoon for the hosts. The Cavalier comeback was to be brief as Bock collected a spilled kick-off and sped away to score in the corner.

McDonald continued his notable appearance and provided fellow replacement William van Wyk with the pass that saw the former Paarl Gymnasium scholar score his first Currie Cup try. Carelse converted and with eight minutes left the Griquas were still leading 23-14.

The Griquas then sealed a vital bonus point when replacement hooker Marius Fourie went over, with Ntabeni Dukisa adding the extras. Coach Pieter Engeldoe will have been pleased with the result, but knows his charges have to be much more clinical if they are to compete with the bigger unions.

The Cavaliers travel to Potchefstroom next week and will need to quickly sort out their issues at scrum time and with the kicking tee if they are to keep their chances alive of qualification for the Currie Cup.


Boland Cavaliers: Tries: Christopher Bosch, William van Wyk. Covnersions: Adriaan Carelse (2).

Griquas: Tries: Jason Fraser, AJ Coertzen, Alshaun Bock, Marius Fourie. Conversions: Clinton Swart, Ntabeni Dukisa Penalties: Swart (2)

Copyright - SA Rugby. All Rights Reserved - Photos by Gallo Images