GWK Griquas beat Golden Lions
Gerdie Karstens
April 05, 2014

GWK Griquas beat the Golden Lions 33-18 in the sides Vodacom Cup encounter at GWK Park in Kimberley on Saturday.

The hosts tried their best to get a bonus point for four tries, but will still be happy with a crucial victory that was needed to keep their hopes of a home semifinal alive.

Griquas started at a frantic pace and centre Jonathan Francke almost scored as early as the 2nd minute, just losing the ball forward in the grounding.

From the resulting knock, Griquas remained in the Lions half and full back Gouws Prinsloo kicked a penalty to put the hosts out in front early on. Griquas used that momentum and scored the first try of the afternoon via big lock Jaco Nepgen. The latter, with prop Ewald van der Westhuizen in support, burst over from a line out that the Lions couldn't control. Prinsloo converted to give the hosts an early lead of 10-0.

The Lions finally got on the score board when Griquas infringed from the resulting kick off and visiting fly half Willie du Plessis slotted the kick successfully. The visitors happiness was short lived as Griquas again breached their defensive structures. Eighth man Carel Greeff broke through on the Lions ten metre line and ran all the way for his five pointer, which Prinsloo converted.

The Lions did manage to put together some good phases of play, but Griquas defence held fast and the visitors could only manage a penalty via the boot of Du Plessis after several attempts at Griquas goal line turned up nothing.

The first 40 minutes belonged to Griquas however, with winger Ederies Arendse scoring three minutes from halftime and Prinsloo converting to make it 24-6 in favour of the hosts at the break.

There were handling errors in abundance from both sides at the start of the second half, but the Lions regained some composure after Griquas hooker Martin Bezuidenhout was yellow carded for diving on a player on the hosts goal line. From the resulting line out, the Lions were awarded a penalty try for repeated infringing and Du Plessis kicked the conversion.

Griquas still attacked and the pressure from that resulted in another penalty, which Prinsloo kicked with ease. But the hosts discipline started to become a problem and prop Ewald van der Westhuizen was sin binned after collapsing the Lions driving maul. From that penalty the visitors scored via flanker Stephan de Witt, but Du Plessis couldn't convert.

Prinsloo again stretched the lead to 12 points via a penalty kick, but the Lions still looked better on the attack. It was full back Prinsloo however who had the last say, kicking another penalty to seal the game for the hosts.


GWK Griquas 33 (24): Tries: Jaco Nepgen, Carel Greeff, Ederies Arendse. Conversions: Gouws Prinsloo (3). Penalties: Gouws Prinsloo (4).

Golden Lions 18 (6): Tries: Penalty Try, Stephan de Witt. Conversions: Willie du Plessis. Penalties: Willie du Plessis (2).

Copyright - SA Rugby. All Rights Reserved - Photos by Gallo Images